What We Can Do To Help Children Learn Geography
- Read with them-- especially about other places and other people.
- Keep maps and globes around the house and let your children see you use them.
- Look and explore. Go exploring with them and become aware of your surroundings.
- Ask, ask, ask. Ask questions about what you see. Ask about shape and color and why things are located in a particular spot.
- Talk about the weather and how it changes what you wear and what you can do.
- Celebrate your own cultural heritage.
- Experiment with other cultures. Eat their food and sing their songs.
- Talk about where ideas, products, and people come from.
- Travel in different ways. Bus, car, bicycle, subway train. Jumping, running, climbing
By Carol Sue Fromboluti